Friday 17 September 2010

ROAD TO SEVILLA (cont 2)

I was eager to get a better understanding of the people who were now sharing with me, the "To be pioneered route" of the "Pequeno camino Andaluz".
I still know precious little about Qt my younger sister, our paths having crossed few times over her 21 years. I have enjoyed immeansly though the getting to know her these past few weeks.
Shai on the other hand, had a very different upbringing, to both Qt and I, and we entered into some very deep conversations about our personal views of some of the most contraversial subjects, I have yet discovered. Having been brought up as a Jew, in a world constantly under threat of missile attacks, shootings, suicide bombings and very bloody hatred, I was shocked to find that Shai could still have a sense of humour. His revelations about the way he understood the conflicts of the ´Middle east`, brought sadness to my heart. The Jews had been oppressed and victimised, submitted to some of the most evil conduct ever spurned upon another human being, (See Hollacaust) and here was a young man, disclosing his ever present reality, about how still his nation were being treated. Whilst I don´t declare any academic qualifications in ´Middle eastern conflicts`, nor world affairs in general, I do see with an open heart, the vile and despicable conduct of mankind presently, and in history.
Shai explained in some detail the kinds of daily exploits of the neighbouring Arabic tribes, factions, and governments. Very similar I noticed, to the way Pakistan seemed to pretend that the academies of terrorism were not conducted in thier backyard. It seemed that for some undeclared reason, except the supposed anhilation of the complete race of the Jews, that the Arabs would constantly taunt and provoke the retaliation of the Israeli armies.
Whilst realising there are always two sides to any story or argument, I had to agree that in one way, the little newly formed (in terms of history) state of Israel, did have to defend themselves, showing with force even, that they would not continually stand by and see their civilian towns rained upon by enemy missiles. We cannot in our western culture, say with equinamity, that we do not see any of this as pointless and pathetic, when we ourselves, throw so much public funds, into our own brand of terrorism. We manage to describe this as, ¨the defense of our boarders`, despite Britain, not having land boarders with either Afghanistan nor Iraq.
Investigating theological topics, Shai was fascinated to hear how we in our ´Christian cultures`, have such fear over the issues between God and the Devil. It came as a surprise to me also to hear, that they do not have quite the same feudal dilema about the sin of Adam, nor the relevance of Jesus being the son of god, and redeemer of mankind. I had to laugh though, as according to the widely accepted bible view, it was the Jews` who had Jesus put to death, executed by Pontius Pilate, the Roman govenor.

Shai told us that, whenever two Jews are gathered together, then three opinions exist.!!!

A Jewish father, whos son cam to him with his newfound desire to become, ´a Christian`, once prayed to God.
"God my son wants to become a Christian, what should I do?"
"Tell me about it !!!!"   replied God.

And here was born my more accepting and open view, that the Jews can infact, laugh at their own shortcommings.


Of course whilst laughing at the comedy of our remarks, the miles flew by and we soon had need of rest and refreshments.Qt noticed a spot along the seafront, as we followed the western coast, so we made tracks to the green and lush oasis. I noticed that the cafe signs were not out and the gate was closed to our passage. We decided to drop our heavy burdens and camp out for a while. Not being one to miss out on my morning coffee, I took a brief stroll along the fenceline, to find the entrance to the complex, boasting such lush green trees.
My jaw almost hit the floor, met by the most wonderfully tranquil garden oasis. Sculptures with water flowing over them, a pool, lazy couches throughout the grounds, even winding log paths dissappearing further into the trees. I had died and gone to heaven for sure!! Making my way into the entrance vestibule of this hotel, I became further coerced to relax. Huge antique oak doors, wooden furniture from eons gone by, took me almost to another world, smelling the seasoned and treated timbers. At the desk, a pretty young lady begged of me my inquiry. It was simply that we could have a coffee. Of course, a passing traveller was welcome to use the cafeteria. She pointed me in the direction of the deeper reaches of the garden paradise, where all my dreams would come true. (Well, nearly all)
At once I ran hurriedly back to invite my travelling companions to take repast with me.

"What is it like ? "  they asked quizzically.

"Well, if you could say that to be met by girls in hula skirts, and comforts beyond your wildest fantasy, then I would say it is as close to paradise as I have seen."

My hyperbole, a little extreme, but poetic lisence besides, it was the most incredible way to welcome my new travelling companions to the experiences beheld, walking to Santiago.

As we returned, they remarked in their own comprehension of my understatements as to the peace and relaxing surroundings we had entered.
At the Tres Mares, "Chillout hotel", close to Tarifa, we three pilgrims shared our first meal, breakfast, together with people who had clearly given an arm and a leg to be there. For a very modest contribution, we ate and drank ´til we were sated.
I had the pleasure of relaying our mission to Gloria, a pleasntly corteous waitress, who gave such a lovely welcome and attention. After thoroughly enjoying the experience, we made ready to leave, and I asked if I could have the business card for the hotel. I will be definately returning here at some point, to revisit these tranquil surroundings. Gloria directed us to the hotel reception once more, and I had the great pleasure to meet and converse with our real hostess. Claudia, a Swiss girl, who´s way was very much, that of a Peaceful Warriorette, did her level best to avail me of the business card, and further detailed information on our onward quest. Herself a follower of the "way",, the "Camino Frances", like myself, was well aware of the positive reactions felt by the bretheren of this centuries old pilgrimage. I apologied for my brief interuption of the running of the hotel, but she simply waved aside my concerns, as she gathered data as to places and distances we were yet to travel. I was so impressed, yet not surprised, the way another pilgrim, so quickly returned to, the giving to strangers, of their time and energies. Claudia seemed keen to know all about our plans, though I quickly explained, how few they really were. With a sincere wish from Gloria, for our success, a huge Camino Hug from our wondeful hostess Claudia, we set sail once more on the oceans of adventure, replete and content, and with a spring in our steps.
May the Universe bless these good people, is my daily prayer towards them...

No comments:

Post a Comment