Tuesday 21 September 2010

THREE BECOME TWO

As they say, (whoever they are) "the best laid plans of mice and men".

We finally got to breakfast at about 8.45. and daylight had not yet fully opened our eyes. Being a rest stop for travellers along the national hyway, the hotel bar was home to the locals on their way to work, hence it was very busy. There appeared to be a few europeans in the bar, people who`s skin and hair colour gave away their own heritage. I happened to notice one young lady, who stood out amongst the others. I figured that she was a Swiss, German or Dutch woman. I caught her eye, as I noticed that she was sporting a rather fine pair of hiking shoes, walking trousers and top, and I found myself hoping that she too would prove to be a walker of the Way, in search of adventure. First nail in the coffin, no rucksack. Second, was when she left and climbed into a huge  4x4 jeep and took off into the hills. I have this affect on some women !

We noticed a rather bouyant fellow chatting to a lady at the next table, out on the front terrace. He quite clearly wasn't a Spaniard, though the lady, presumably his wife, did carry the look of Spanish eyes, and tanned skin. Striking up a conversation, was not at all what I had expected. He quickly launched into a self important rhetoric about this that and the other, and how wonderful his wife was, and how wise he was, sporting silver hair. He did look a bit like santa claus now I think about it. But if he had let his wife get a word in edgewise we would have seen for ourselves quite possibly what a nice lady she was.  Intuitively I sensed that she was both a lovely lady, and incredibly patient and longsuffering wife. Good on you, Beverly ! The man who will remain nameless, (for I would not want to fan his ego, anymore than he has thusfar himself) finally stopped for a breath, and this was when I made our excuses to set off. We did actually have about 25km to walk that day. As I was preparing my bag for the journey, the wife informed me that her husband had gone to their car to fetch me a gift. She seemed a little embarrassed, as it made me wait further. I was hoping for a bag full of cash. What I got was a book with a brief apology about its`possible unsuitability as a gift for a walker. What an understatement !!!!!!
The bloody book, weighing in at about half a kilo, somehow found its way into my backpack. Shamefully I just couldn't tell him that I didn't want his gift. Anyone who has done any long treks surely know, that carrying anything that does not have more that two uses is of no use to you. For example, don't carry a 24 pack of beers if you only intend to drink 2 that day. Avoid bringing hair tongues and beauty products, its not a fashion parade. And Never. for the love of god, carry a book on how to drive within the law, in 16 european countries !!!!

The same said offending item is now decorating the inside of the first wheelie bin we came to. But let it be said, that I do owe a debt of gratitude to this person, still un-named, for the lesson it taught me, and the wisdom of saying , NO !
(Which I will apply on the very next occasion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment